Saturday, April 2, 2016

Symphonia and the Dragons



Greetings,
This is a short story that I wrote a number of years ago as  a children's book. The original is in a small book I made for my son, which uses a number of images borrowed from the internet. Unfortunately, I have no artistic ability to paint/draw/create the pictures necessary to produce a children's book with original images.  So, instead, I modified it into an adult short story for various fantasy writing contests. 
Hope you enjoy the story and I would love any feedback or recommendations. 
-James

Symphonia and the Dragons
by James J Meadows III

     Symphonia looked up wearily as the sound of crunching stones and breaking limbs signaled the arrival of a large creature near the mouth of her cave. Even though Symphonia enjoyed helping people, as well as providing advice and guidance to those in need, she grew tired of these visitors. Her youthful days were long past. The weight of her years, combined with her frustration at being powerless to help the suffering people of her land, weighed heavily upon her.

     Casting aside her doubts, she arose, determined to provide the best assistance she could to this new visitor. She shook her white mane, throwing off the long bangs which had gotten wrapped around her horn while she slept. She took one quick glance into the waters of the nearby reflecting pool to survey her coat. Unicorns were supposed to be majestic creatures, after all, and she wanted to look her best. Hooves clopping on the stones, she moved toward the entrance to greet her visitor. Her mood soured at the sight of the newcomer.

     “Lady Symphonia, we have never met,” said the oily voice of the large black dragon perched on her doorstep. “Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Vuljar.”

     Symphonia did not need the introduction. She knew Vuljar only too well without meeting him. The cruel greedy dragon brought suffering and ruin wherever he went, using his cunning lies and conniving tricks to swindle money from the pockets of the innocent. His horde was the richest in the land and his wicked deeds were legendary.

     “Word of your great wisdom has reached my ears even in the distant mountain halls of the north,” he continued. “I come seeking your council in a matter of great importance.”

     Symphonia said nothing to him. She strode past to a small cliff on the side of her mountain home. There she looked down onto the valley below where a human settlement teamed with poor, starving people. They were the remnant of a once great kingdom, driven into poverty by the cruel machinations of dragons like Vuljar.

     A wiser or perhaps less egotistical creature might have taken a hint from Symphonia’s silence and left her in peace. Vuljar did not.

     “I come in need of your assistance. I recently committed to a magical pact with the lesser dragon Davon.”

     Symphonia shook her head. The name Davon left an even worse taste in her mouth than Vuljar. Davon deserved as much responsibility for the poverty and grief afflicting the people of the country as Vuljar. He possessed the power to change shapes and used the skill to force innocent travelers and merchants into surrendering their wealth. Such greed was common among dragons. They drew their magical powers from their wealth: the greater the horde, the more powerful the dragon. The lesser the horde, the weaker the dragon became, losing all power if they lost all gold.

     “We are playing a game of high stakes, a game of power,” Vuljar went on. “The game is chess. To the winner goes the horde of the loser. They get all the gold and the vanquished opponent leaves broken and powerless, their magic lost along with their gold. To make the stakes even higher, we are bound to not add a single coin to our horde until our duel is finished. So, you can see how serious the consequences of the battle are for both sides.”

     “So, what do you need me for?” Symphonia asked, already suspecting the answer.

     “All reports and legends claim you are the most brilliant and clever of all creatures in creation,” Vulgar said in his most flattering tone. “While I too am clever, I fear my opponent has made a most brilliant move today and I cannot see the way to counter him.”

     “So, you wish me to help you with your next move.”

     “I do.”

     “Isn’t that cheating?” she asked.

     “Perhaps, but you are not making a move for me,” he argued. “You are merely giving me a suggestion. I am still choosing my move. I just wish to receive council. Besides, surely you can see how much better the land will be if there is one fewer dragon feeding on the innocent people.”

     Symphonia gazed at him with disgust. Only a truly evil being appeals to someone’s love of their people as an excuse to help further their own wicked ends. There was certainly no way to miss the hypocrisy in his argument regarding how much better the world would be if there were fewer dragons doing the very same deeds he performs. Still, she had to admit, he had a point.

     “Very well,” she said, glancing back over the town. “I will help you on one condition. Your horde contains a vast wealth of gold beyond anything I can ever imagine.”

     “Very true,” Vulgar agreed. “You must merely name your price and I will present the gold to you.”

     “Unicorns do not need gold,” she replied. “The people of the village, on the other hand, do. Take one thousand gold pieces to the orphanage in the center of town and then show me your board. I will show you the next move.”

     Vulgar did as told. While Symphonia watched from the edge of her cliff, he flew into town, deposited the gold on the steps of the orphanage, and returned to her. Afterward, she kept her promise and showed him the best move she could find. Yet, the game had just begun.

     Two days later, Vuljar returned to her again. His opponent had made another strong move and he sought Symphonia’s advice on a response. She charged him to take another thousand gold coins to the town temple and upon returning, she showed him another move. But again, like clockwork, Vuljar returned in two days.

     For months the battle raged. No matter how clever Symphonia’s move, her opponent found an even better move. No matter how strong her attacks or tactics, her opponent found an even greater defense. No matter how well she positioned her pieces, her opponent discovered the perfect counter. All the while, Vuljar gave money to schools, merchants, needy families, and all manner of people within Barrov.

     One day, after many months, Vuljar did not come at his normal time. He did not come the next day either. On the third day, a man on horseback approached Symphonia’s door.

     She rose to greet the man and inquire the business bringing him here.

     “Fair lady Symphonia, I humble myself in your presence,” declared the rider, bowing low to the ground. “While riding through the mountains, I heard the voice of a dragon calling to me. He appeared sickly and old and offered me a hundred gold pieces to ride here and bring you to him.”

     Symphonia walked to the edge of the cliff, looking out over the city of Barrov. Her heart swelled with pride at the splendor before her. Merchants were returning to the land. New temples and palaces were being constructed. Schools and hospitals rose into the air. There was even a statue of her being lifted in honor of all the families she assisted in their hour of need. She smiled.

     “Very well,” she said. “I will go to him.”

     She rode with the messenger to Vuljar’s cave. Upon reaching the entrance, she ordered Vuljar to give the hundred gold coins to the man. Vuljar reluctantly acquiesced, pushing the last of his once great fortune to the rider. The messenger thanked Symphonia and departed, leaving the two alone.

     “I am weak.” Vuljar said, each word a strain to speak. “I have no gold or strength left. Yet, I know when I get Davon’s gold, I shall be rich and powerful. And I will rule the valley. So, I accept my helpless state in the meantime. I beg of you to ride to the mountain where the chess board is located and make my move for me.”

     “I will do so,” Symphonia said, giving a low bow.

     “The chess board is located at…” he began.

     Symphonia interrupted.

     “You do not need to tell me where the board is located,” she said. “I already know.”

     “How?” Vuljar asked clearly confused.

     “Because, I made Davon’s move for him a few days ago,” she answered.

     “What?” The dragon attempted to roar but was barely able to lift his head off the ground before it fell again.

     “He came to me the day before you did, seeking my help in your battle,” she explained calmly. “He came to me every other day, just like you, paying his dues to the village in exchange for my move. Now, neither of you have any gold left. No more will either of you trouble the innocent people of the valley or wreak havoc upon the land. Your game will last for all time and you will never add another coin to your purses. Your greed and your selfish ambitions finally proved your downfall. You have all eternity to ponder your sins!”

     With these words, she turned from the cave. True to her word, she made one more move on behalf of Vuljar. Then, she left the mountains, returning to her home and the gratitude of the people she saved.
reply | edit | delete | flag *

No comments:

Post a Comment